A 1500 calorie diet is considered to be a healthy approach to weight loss. Here are the top five reasons why this diet works so well:
1. The 1500 calories diet allows you enough calories to nourish your body. Diets that are too low in calories can cause your body to go into starvation mode which makes it harder to lose the weight and easier to gain it back.
2. This type of diet allows you enough calories to include all sections of the food pyramid which is essential to optimal health. Anytime you exclude any element of the food pyramid you are putting your over-all health at risk.
3. You will typically lose weight at about five pounds a month. This is slower than fad diets, but healthier for the long term. The fact is that the slower you lose the weight the higher chance you have of keeping it off. It allows you to learn new eating behaviors as you diet, lose weight, and change your life.
4. The 1500 calories diet gives you enough calories for energy so that you can exercise effectively. Losing weight is not just about eating, but also about incorporating exercise into your life. A diet that is too low in calories or based on just a couple of foods will drain your energy and make it difficult to exercise. However, this type of diet is perfect for balanced nutrition which makes exercise much easier and certainly healthier.
5. This diet allows you to have a treat now and then. It provides enough calories that you can eat a healthy selection of foods and even indulge a craving once in a while. This will keep your diet from becoming boring and it will be much easier to stay on track.
It will be important to keep careful track of your calories by writing down everything that you eat. Don’t be tempted to just keep track of it in your head. It’s much too easy to fool yourself. Keeping a food journal is your visual accountability.
Make a list of the foods you like to eat. Make sure you have something from every category of the food pyramid and then educate yourself on the calories that these foods contain. Add your favorite restaurants so that you can participate socially as well. The key to success for a 1500 calorie diet is planning and education. The more you plan for your diet day and educate yourself on calories, the more successful you will be.
Add gentle exercise to the program and you have a winning combination. It doesn’t have to be anything strenuous. Just an evening walk will help bump up your metabolism and encourage weight loss. Invite a friend to walk with you. It can be a talk and walk that’s fun and good for you. Better yet, invite your whole family out. It’s a great way to help your family adopt healthier choices too.
The 1500 calorie diet is the sensible, smart approach to not only losing weight but losing weight for life. It allows you to learn as you go, make behavior modifications, and stay with it as an ongoing lifestyle choice.